top of page


the following are Frequently asked questions about my services and abilities.


Will you mill out 80% receivers for me?


No. While it is legal for you to mill out an 80% receiver for an AR 15 as long as you've applied with the CA DOJ for a Serial number BEFORE you begin the project. it is not legal for me to mill out the receiver for you. As I am engaged "in the business" of firearms, I am responsible as a licensee to mark each firearm manufactured in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92. [18 U.S.C. 923(i), 26 U.S.C. 5822.

Long story short, there is NO amount of money you could offer me to engage in practices that violate the law.


All firearms that I manufacture must have a serial number and be registered with state and federal entities.


further, all firearms which are manufactured in the state of California, even for personal use, must be serialized and registered with the state.


Do you special order firearms?


Yes. I am a fully licensed firearms dealer under state, federal, and local law.  However, due to contract agreements, expect to pay MSRP and shipping on all special order items. all sales are final on firearms, and any returns for defects must be sent to the manufacturer for repair.

note:  I will not share with you any information about my wholesale costs on firearms, so please don't ask. my business is my livelihood and if you appreciate my service, please know that by purchasing from me, you're supporting an independent small business owner.


What are the requirements to purchase a firearm in california?


  • For handguns, you must be 21 years of age, have your FSC (or unexpired HSC), and have no outstanding felonies or other legal issues that prevent you from purchasing a handgun. The handgun must also be on the roster of safe firearms provided by the DOJ.

  • For long guns, you must be 21 years of age, have your FSC (or a current before january 2015 hunters safety card,) or valid hunting license and be legally allowed to purchase firearms in the state of california. (please note: this as of 2019 the laws have changed and you must be 21 years of age to buy a long gun in this state.

  • Due to California law, both private party transfers of firearms and new firearms purchases require a 10 day waiting period and require you to have a current state ID, separate proof of residency, complete a ATF form 4473, and have a DROS come back as approved. After approval, the customer must demonstrate their safety knowledge of the particular firearm and sign a firearms safe handling affidavitt.

  • For more information, see the CA DOJ's website.


it's been over 30 days since I had a DROS submitted, can I still pick up my firearm?


no, you have 30  days to pick up your firearm, after which time, if the firearm is not delivered, the process much be re-initiated per state law. you will not get a refund of your initial dros payment, and you will be required to pay another DROS fee per re-initialization of the background check process, as well as fill out another 4473.


I need a Firearms Safety Certificate, do you offer testing?


yes, I am a certified DOJ FSC instructor, and can provide testing to you for a fee of 25 dollars (15 DOJ fee, 10 dealer testing fee). Expect the testing to take at least a half hour. Please make sure to bring your CA Drivers license or State issued ID, and any supporting documents.


once you pass the test, you will receive a certificate which enables you to purchase a firearm in the state of California. This certificate is valid for 5 years.


I need to make my AR pattern rifle state compliant due to the new laws, do you have any information on what I need to do?


Yes. Due to SB 880 and AB 1135, firearm owners will be required to register their AR pattern firearms with the DOJ, to include all firearms with magazine locking devices requiring a tool or bullet to remove the magazine (bullet-button equipped firearms.)

Registration shall contain a description of the firearm that identifies it uniquely, including all identification marks, the full name, address, date of birth, and thumb print of the owner, and any other information that the department may deem appropriate.

The law applies to semiautomatic, centerfire rifles that do not have a fixed magazine. The law defines a fixed magazine as: " as an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permenantly attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm's action.

AR pattern rifle owners must disassemble their firearm in order to release the magazine, rendering the original bullet button locking devices out of compliance with the new law.

To insure there is no confusion, the new law states: "any person who, from january 1, 2001, to december 31, 2016, inclusive, lawfully posessed and assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, as defined in section 30515, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with the use of a tool, shall register the firearm before January 1, 2018." - information courtesy of

There are several options to make your rifle compliant with the new law, which I can talk to you about in person, however, I cannot legally take in a gun for repairs or modifications that is classified as an "assault weapon" under state law.

For more information please see my blog post regarding the new firearms law.


What method do you use for assessing the problem with a firearm?

I primarily operate off of a linear trouble shooting method of assessing problems with firearms. this involves looking at the interaction of parts in the global sense as well as the individual. The trouble shooting method is outlined in most technical manuals as well as the gunsmithing book put out by the AGA.  Usually the process is quick to reveal problems.

Working in this method does usually require disassembly of the firearm to inspect the various parts and make sure they interact correctly.



Do you allow drop ins? Can I watch you work?

The simple answer to this is no. For liability reasons, i do not allow drop ins as I do not have a commercial site, and for safety reasons, I do not allow customers to come into the shop or near the work bench to watch me work. This mitigates the risk to you, the customer, and reduces the legal liability to me, should something go wrong while I'm working.

additionally, it is a trade procedure to not allow folks to watch as there is a tendency for people to watch, think they understand what it is that I'm doing, and then attempt the same at home, which can lead to potential safety hazards which I do not want to be liable for.

remember, you pay what you pay for my experience, which I have been earning since 2006, and while I may make certain tasks look easy, in some cases they have been at the expense of trial and error on my own firearms, and I value my service accordingly.

The high polish finish you use for stainless steel firearms seems easy enough, should I try it myself?

While the polishes I use are readily available from Brownells, the actual technique for doing it requires the correct wheels, and equipment to produce it. Keep in mind that I spent years watching and being taught by a master craftsman produce the finishes that I use. He also described the correct method for applying the finish as well. 


It is extremely easy to ruin the finish on your firearm if you don't understand the process, as well as damage screws and screw holes. I would recommend either having somebody refinish the firearm for you, or I would recommend you take the time to read up on the subject (Bob Brownell's 'gunsmith kinks' has a whole section describing the process for the 'master finish.) Then, once you read about the process and understand it, practice on various metals and then build up to working on similar metals to those found in your firearm before you attempt to do it on your own firearm.


Is it possible to buy a taurus judge in california?

currently it is not possible to order or buy a taurus judge in california as they are considered a short barreled shotgun. they are not available for any kind of purchase in california, nor will I be able to entertain any requests for ordering, or tracking one down. for more information, see this notice from michael lawyers.  


Do you accept gunbroker orders / orders from other online dealers?

of course you can! with the caveat that if it is a handgun or rifle, that is in compliance with state laws. if it's on the roster of handguns, C&R, or otherwise compliant, I usually just need to send off my email to the seller, which requires an order number and a good way to contact the shop or individual you're purchasing from.

please note:  out of state purchases from private sellers must still be compliant with CA law and are not considered to be private party transfers; as such, the receiving fee and dros fees and any appropriate taxes needing to be collected will be collected as if it were otherwise a normal purchase from any other dealer.

bottom of page